Ep 38: NT Wright & the Future of God
NT Wright explains why we don't want to go to Heaven, points us toward medical technology as a sign of the Kingdom, and clears up our biggest misconceptions about the apostle Paul.
Books & Links:
- Surprised by Hope: Rethinking Heaven, the Resurrection, and the Mission of the Church
- Paul: A Biography
- NT Wright's online courses
- Why should the church care about history?
- “Going to Heaven” vs “The Kingdom of Heaven”
- “Signs of the kingdom”
- The Resurrection spreads outward from Christ, through humanity, to all creation.
- Signs of Christ's impact: Health Care, Education, Concern for the Poor
- The centrality of medical technology to the work of Christianity
- What does the word “God” mean?
- A Skeptic's introduction to the New Testament
- Christology from below?
- Epicureanism, Stoicism, Judaism
- The Mistakes of the Church Fathers
- The Eastern Orthodox doctrine of Theosis (Divinization)
- Doctor Who?
- The biggest misunderstanding about Paul
- Paul wasn't expecting the end of the world (see Gifford Lectures)
- Phoebe, Junia, and why Paul wasn't a misogynist
“If we were to scour the first century for people who were hoping that their souls would leave the present material world behind and go to heaven, we would discover Platonists like Plutarch, not Christians like Paul.” <-- (click to tweet)
Christian Transhumanist Podcast
- Kevin Kelly
- NT Wright
- Science Mike McHargue
- David Deutsch
- Aubrey de Grey
- Frank Tipler
- Robin Hanson
- Robert Wright
- James Hughes
- Steve Fuller
- Liz Parrish
- Thomas Jay Oord
- Greg Boyd
- Philip Clayton
- Adam Ericksen
- Christian Piatt
- Paul Wallace
- Derek Flood
- Katharine Hayhoe
- Christopher Benek
- Robert Walden Kurtz
- Calvin Mercer
- Peter Enns
- Shannon Vyff
- Ron Cole-Turner
- Meghan O'Gieblyn
The Christian Transhumanist Podcast is an editorially independent production of Micah Redding, provided here as a community resource on behalf of the CTA.