Ep 41: David Pearce & Engineering Paradise
Micah Redding, David Pearce
Posted on 2018-06-21 19:30:00
David Pearce lays out a plan for building heaven on earth, shows us why vegans need more science fiction, and explains why computers may never become conscious.
- The Naturalization of Heaven
- How do we make heaven on earth? A 3-step plan:
- Stop systematically harming living beings. Shut down factory farms & slaughter houses. Introduce in vitro meats.
- Designer babies & free genetic screening.
- Raise our "hedonic set-point" — How much pleasure and pain we experience on average.
- Wireheading vs Paradise Engineering?
- Genetic Engineering, Smart Drugs, and why natural selection won't let us become wire-headers
- Wireheading, Faith Healing & the Placebo Effect — Micah's comprehensive theory of placebo, faith healing, and the genetics of spiritual authority
- Will genetic engineering increase biodiversity?
- Do we need pain in order to experience pleasure?
- Should vegans be more ambitious?
- What is the role of humanity in governing life?
- The significance of Science Fiction & Religious Visions
- Will computers become conscious?
"Computers may never become conscious." <-- Click to tweet
- Kevin Kelly
- NT Wright
- Science Mike McHargue
- David Deutsch
- Aubrey de Grey
- Frank Tipler
- Robin Hanson
- Robert Wright
- James Hughes
- Steve Fuller
- Liz Parrish
- Thomas Jay Oord
- Greg Boyd
- Philip Clayton
- Adam Ericksen
- Christian Piatt
- Paul Wallace
- Derek Flood
- Katharine Hayhoe
- Christopher Benek
- Robert Walden Kurtz
- Calvin Mercer
- Peter Enns
- Shannon Vyff
- Ron Cole-Turner
- Meghan O'Gieblyn
The Christian Transhumanist Podcast is an editorially independent production of Micah Redding, provided here as a community resource on behalf of the CTA.